> New School Year
Bloom girl
post Sep 9 2011, 3:14 PM
Post #1

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Members

Hm.. I thought this was the right forum to post this topic xD
Umm..anyway

I know that, for the most of you, school has already started [again]. Schools start here on Monday 12/09, by the way.
You have unwinded and "recharged your batteries" during the summer holidays, you are one year older & ready(?) to spend the next 10 months at a desk, at school & spending endless hours at studing...

Some of you may have changed school. (for example, you may have finished elementary school & you will go to junior high school) This is really good (from the one side), because you'll make new acquaintances.

I will go to high school this year. Fortunately, I will be in the same school with almost all of my friends.
Unfortunately, this year is going to be really hard for ALL the greek students. And that's because the government doesn't have enough money to print books. We won't have any books! It is said that we will be given out photocopies instead! But photocopies will cost more to the government than printing books! It is also rumored that the will give us the school books after Christmas! The situation in my country is a bit worring now. They did a big mistake, a very big mistake; they completely ruined education.
However, the educational system in Greece was never really good. What I mean is that, state schools provide education to the majority of students and do not help weaker students. (another example -->) Most of the laboratories in state schools are closed and students miss the opportunity to carry out experiements in chemistry or physics and they are not motivated to study harder because just the theory is boring.
This is the reason why parents pay extra money (if they afford the expences) to send their children to prepatory schools after school, in order the child to overcome his/her weaknessess (if the student is weak) or to improve his/her skills. Furthermore, if you want to achieve a diploma in a foreign language (English,German etc.) you have to go to a prepatory school or get lessons at home by a tutor, in order to be prepared properly for the examinations. [Diplomas in foreign languages are really important in order to find a job]
As a result, students in my country (including me) spend many hours at prepatory schools, after school, every day, so when they go home, they have to study for school, do their homework &... they don't have any free time for themselves, to exercise or do other activities or go out with their friends and have fun.
Education is an integral part of our lives. The greek government "killed" education, they "killed" our future...

I'm learning English since I was 6. (I'm going to a prepatory school 4 times a week to have english lessons) I already got 2 diplomas in English language; "Lower" & "Advanced". On the 24th of November I'm going to take an exam in order to achieve a "Proficiency" diploma. I hope I pass the exams!

Anyway..
I would be very happy to hear (actually read xD ) what you have to say about this topic, about school & education & about your new school year :)

I hope you have a nice new school year. All of you. :3

P.S. : If there are any mistakes in my text, please tell me.
P.S. No2 : Ooops.. I used the phrase "in order to" too many times xD tongue.gif LOL
Go to the top of the page
mightymarty2
post Sep 9 2011, 3:39 PM
Post #2

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Group: Admins

Well good luck with all your studies. I have heard about Greece's problems and I certainly don't think your country will be the last to suffer as much as you have. I know Ireland are most probably next if things continue like they are (potentially a double dip recession) to be in a very similar state as Greece, even if their bailout was not as bad as Greece's.

This is the right place to post it and its very easy to keep using the same group of words too many times.

--------------------
*stella* created this wonderful avatar and SpiderBraids for the rescue and Angel Darkstorm this wonderful signature
Another Morning
post Sep 9 2011, 4:09 PM
Post #3

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Honor Members

Having graduated high school and abandoned college (anyone want to hire me? I'm good at playing video games and posting on message boards), I myself am not experiencing the back-to-school experience first hand, but I have plenty of friends who are going back to college this term. None of them were particularly looking forward to it XD

It sucks that you have to spend so much time on schoolwork, Bloom girl, and that the schools there are in such bad shape. I hope you can get through the year without too much stress and that you're able to find some time to relax.

--------------------
RIP Falicia (AngelDarkstorm, Anime-Princess) :: 01/19/1990 - 05/25/2013 :: I love you, Sisser.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." ~Oscar Wilde
Bloom girl
post Sep 9 2011, 5:51 PM
Post #4

Cosmix Fairy

Thank you very much. I hope everything goes well :)

This post has been edited by Bloom girl: Sep 9 2011, 8:29 PM
empire_c2
post Sep 10 2011, 2:23 AM
Post #5

Enchantix Fairy

I just started college on Tuesday, and it is definitely a big change from high school, but I'll be doing something that has fascinated me since I started public school. Drawing. I'm hoping to get into Animation next year, but I need to learn a lot before I can handle the course. High school wasn't a big help in that field skill wise, but after reading your bit Bloom girl, I am thankful for what I got for education. I got to use textbooks (some damaged from previous students wrecking them) but they were useable and the school gave me a few opportunities that really helped me with my goals.

It really is a shame your education has to be the way it is. I hope, though, all your efforts pay off.

--------------------

The dark raven lingers in the shadows and awaits its moment.
alicia_musa
post Sep 10 2011, 2:36 AM
Post #6

Cosmix Fairy

i started 8th grade about like maybe 6 weeks ago -.- and i have one advance class and this class called avid :) has anyone heard of avid

--------------------

Another Morning
post Sep 10 2011, 6:46 AM
Post #7

Cosmix Fairy

I've never heard of AVID, no O: I looked it up, and it sounds kind of like QUEST, which is what my schools had. It was basically a class kids could take if they passed a test where they could devote more time to various studies that they weren't able to focus on in normal classes, or who needed more of a challenge.

--------------------
RIP Falicia (AngelDarkstorm, Anime-Princess) :: 01/19/1990 - 05/25/2013 :: I love you, Sisser.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." ~Oscar Wilde
imdepressedxo
post Sep 10 2011, 2:48 PM
Post #8

Cosmix Fairy

Very different education system and holiday system over here :/ I get off in June and November-December instead. But that's beside the point; yeah I've been hearing about the entire Greek financial crisis, hope that you can get through the educational problems and starting school under such a circumstance must be pretty tough. Though you seem to really understand the importance of education so be strong and you'll pull through :) I've never experienced much difficulty in quality of education so I guess I'm pretty spoilt; but I'm currently taking a course called I.B(Hell) which is stressing me out, so I can empathize with the stress part. Just work hard and you'll surely reap what you sow icon_wink.gif

--------------------
Dead Forums Q_Q RIP

alicia_musa
post Sep 10 2011, 3:58 PM
Post #9

Cosmix Fairy

no avid means advancement via individual determination. basically its something that helps you get to college and all of the students that were in it during high school got scholarships

--------------------

empire_c2
post Sep 10 2011, 8:07 PM
Post #10

Enchantix Fairy

ooh my sister did I.B. good luck with it. That's a really tough program. I decided against doing it, but I ended up do a SHSM in arts and culture and getting a college credit before leaving high school.

--------------------

The dark raven lingers in the shadows and awaits its moment.
Another Morning
post Sep 10 2011, 9:12 PM
Post #11

Cosmix Fairy

They aren't exactly the same, but I think it was sort of the same general idea: extra study that looks good on college apps.

--------------------

Bloom girl
post Sep 12 2011, 6:11 PM
Post #12

Cosmix Fairy

Thank you and good luck to everyone, too

Today was the first day at school. Some students got almost all of the school books, and most of them (including me) got only 4 books xD They didn't have enough books at the storage (of school)
Anyway... I think that they will give us the rest of the books till October.
alicia_musa
post Sep 12 2011, 6:23 PM
Post #13

Cosmix Fairy

im sick today so i didnt go to school i would still be in school anyway

--------------------

Another Morning
post Sep 12 2011, 6:26 PM
Post #14

Cosmix Fairy

I hope you start feeling better, alicia_musa D: And Bloom girl, at least you managed to get some text books. Good luck starting the year!

--------------------

alicia_musa
post Sep 12 2011, 6:27 PM
Post #15

Cosmix Fairy

thank you

--------------------

mightymarty2
post Sep 12 2011, 7:28 PM
Post #16

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Group: Admins

Get well soon alica_musa

@Bloom girl: Lets hope that's a positive sign about the commitment to schools, even in the news around Greece's finances are not positive

--------------------
*stella* created this wonderful avatar and SpiderBraids for the rescue and Angel Darkstorm this wonderful signature
alicia_musa
post Sep 12 2011, 7:29 PM
Post #17

Cosmix Fairy

thank you

--------------------

dittadulla
post Sep 12 2011, 9:16 PM
Post #18

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Journalists

The school system in Iceland is a bit different, there is one school from grade 1 to 10 that is mandatory and usually there's just one school in your neighbourhood that you automatically have to go to. From grade 11-17 there is a high school which ideally you could have your choice with a bit more, as they are very different and often translated to "Last two years of high school and first two years of College" and you can start to kind of shape your classes in the direction of your profession and what you want to study at University which you can continue to when you're like 20 years old.
In High School, you could as well drop out or take extra years, or speed through and skip one year, or even go back long after you've dropped out to finish. It's very flexible!

Anyway, I'm starting 10th grade now which means I'll be going to high school next year. I'm having a bit of a crisis because I *want* to go to school in Reykjavik but it'd pretty impossible since high schools in Reykjavik don't have any dorms, I can't drive until I'm 17 and I have no place to live there?? Ironically, the school in my hometown which is the one I'll be attending apparently actually has dorms. I live about 5 minutes away.

It's going to be pretty challenging I guess? Last year of basic school, need good grades to get in good classes? I'm not worried about actually getting in, there's law about that high schools are required to take in students under 18 that want in, whether it's first choice or the second! Kind of gonna miss my school and class though, we've been together for 10 years for god's sake...

I'm sorry about the financial issues in Greece, Bloom girl!! The textbooks should have been the last thing to be cut down, but I see with your spirit that you're going to get through it! Good luck with your English diploma! =)

I'm taking online courses for grade 12 in English myself, so in a way after this year I'm almost graduated from the entire English subject, depending on what I'm going to learn.

--------------------
winxclubrox23
post Sep 12 2011, 11:43 PM
Post #19

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Journalists

As of three weeks ago, I've started grade 12, which means next year I have to grow up and be a big girl, and go to university. xD I'm not sure how to feel about that. I mean, it's going to be nice getting out of this little town that I'm so sick of, but I would really rather prefer to be young forever and be lazy.

--------------------

Thanks to Ditty for the userbar! Llamas by CookiemagiK on DA
Another Morning
post Sep 12 2011, 11:57 PM
Post #20

Cosmix Fairy

Good luck to Ditty and Tea being in your last years of required schooling \o/ You'll both be fine. And Ditty, I hope you can work out a way to get to the school you want.

--------------------

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 9:35 AM