Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Add Reply
> Are forums used anymore? (Question for 2020)
Zhanneel
post Feb 28 2020, 5:13 PM
Post #1

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Group: Admins

I have always liked forums. They give users space to be creative and allow everyone to share opinions and facts in a large setting. However, the appeal of faster apps (like Twitter and Instagram) are more progressive, making it easier to give an opinion with a few swipes of your hand.

So my question is: do forums have a place in 2020? Do people still use them, or would they want to use them if they had a fun forum to go to?

Over the years, I still have not settled on what to do with MagixClub, or what it should become. It may not matter in the end if I cannot get ahold of the user that pays the bills for this site, but I continue to consider this place as one of my homes and I can't let it go. Yet.

Let's say hypothetically, the owner of this site was active once again. The graphics get a makeover, maybe the veneer of the site as a whole changes. Perhaps it's possible to make this site mobile friendly? Not sure. But if all of this could happen, would anyone still want to use a forum to discuss information?

If not, then there's no reason for me to try to pursue a change. But if forums are not entirely dead, I would give it a chance.

Thanks again to the few who may read this post. I hope life is treating all of the MagixClub users well.

This post has been edited by Zhanneel: Feb 28 2020, 5:15 PM
Go to the top of the page
mightymarty2
post Feb 28 2020, 6:25 PM
Post #2

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Interesting topic.

I personally feel that forums have a place in the world of the internet. As a more organised and considered place to discuss issues.

I would like MCF to keep going it has a special place in my heart and if it went under I would miss it. While Winx is still going I don't see why it cannot be a place for Winx fans

Things like twitter and Instagram are good at instant reaction however not so good for long term discussion (both longer posts and people coming back to a post as they catch up) and are more open to the less desirable side of the internet, forums have more control (not perfect admittedly).

--------------------
*stella* created this wonderful avatar and SpiderBraids for the rescue and Angel Darkstorm this wonderful signature
Zhanneel
post Mar 1 2020, 4:16 AM
Post #3

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

I hear you Marty! MCF will always be special, even if it's collecting cobwebs right now. You are probably the most loyal MagixClub user of everybody. You're very faithful to the forums, checking up on them almost daily it seems. I wish there was a way that you could just take ownership even now, though I know that's not possible with the owner MIA. 😕

Well, I'm trying to talk to one of the moderators to get a hold of the owner, but I don't seem to be having any luck contacting anyone who pays the bills on this website. Someone must be paying for this website, because as the saying goes "the lights are still on". I'm grateful to have whoever is paying for this website, but I would like it to change in ownership so a more active owner could spruce up the website.

I think you made awesome points about how a forum is more controlled, less reactionary, and maintains the history of a conversation. Something that is sorely lacking in the fast-paced social media world. I'm having a hard time dealing with Instagram, since so many users are ridiculously quick to sputter opinions without thinking first. Or my favorite, the people who can't wait to write "I'm the first post!" 😩 Social media has become a joke in some ways, where users are more interested in getting attention, whether it's good or bad, then actually having a real discussion. Maybe we're a dying breed, but I really miss forum interactions. It was something to look forward to everyday, and it was less about reactions and more about substance. Anyway, that's awesome to know there's one other person out there who still likes forums. 😊

This post has been edited by Zhanneel: Mar 1 2020, 4:20 AM
mightymarty2
post Mar 1 2020, 9:39 AM
Post #4

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Thanks, while I appreciate the sentiment, as I do try to go on everyday I think ultimately the one who pays the bills should run it. I would always be happy to help though...…My coding and graphical abilities are non existent at best.

It does seem interesting that someone is paying the bills but has gone MIA, hopefully soon you will have some success, however given the time you have spent trying I have my doubts. Don't give up though, where there is a will there is a way.

Too many people like to make controversial comment to cause trouble than for a real debate. I have to agree with the first thing err what is the point, I don't get the fascination with it

--------------------
*stella* created this wonderful avatar and SpiderBraids for the rescue and Angel Darkstorm this wonderful signature
Zhanneel
post Mar 1 2020, 3:26 PM
Post #5

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

That's true about the owner. I would love it if the original owner would come back and just show a presence once in awhile, maybe update the site here and there. And of course be available by email if we have any problems or suggestions. I will keep trying to pursue the owner, even if it is unlikely. Thanks for sending additional hope. 🙏
SpiderBraids
post Mar 1 2020, 4:43 PM
Post #6

Bloomix Fairy

Group: Members

Yeah, I agree with Marty's first response on this... I suspect that message boards are better for specific interests than general discussion, plus there's more of a sense of a close-knit community with forums smile.gif

Myself, I've been thinking lately about starting my own Winx board elsewhere (like Tapatalk or Nabble), where paying the bills wouldn't be an issue (even already have a few potential names in mind)

--------------------
Zhanneel
post Mar 2 2020, 2:37 PM
Post #7

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

I agree, especially about the sense of a close-knit community. Something I don't feel on fast paced social media apps.

Good luck on starting up a new Winx board. I'm not familiar with those two apps, but if they're mobile-friendly that definitely has an extra perk. Definitely let me know if you get that up and running, I'd be interested in joining. 📝
dixie6
post Nov 20 2020, 8:13 PM
Post #8

Enchantix Fairy

Group: Members

Hey guys!

Just dropping in to say hey, and that I'm genuinely surprised the owner still pays for this site to still be up. It's been over 10 years since I first came to this forum, so that's a long time for it to be up. Thank you mighty for the birthday notifications every year. They mean a lot. I'd love to see this space revamped and a renewed interest in Winx Club. It's a great show and as a kid, let me see the life I always wanted to have. Hope ya'll are doing well. I'll pop in again later this or next year.

--------------------
DIXIE6- Dog foster mother, ballet and violin enthusiast, and Winx Club, Huntik, and Lord of the Rings lover!

mightymarty2
post Nov 21 2020, 9:16 AM
Post #9

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Thanks, hope to see you again on this forum, soon

--------------------
Abby
post Jan 19 2021, 3:09 AM
Post #10

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Former Staff

I know this is my first time back here in multiple years, but I agree I'd like to see it keep going or at least have some way to continue to log in. After all these years I still remembered my password and username icon_biggrin.gif

I do think forums are a bit outdated and can be hard to be userfriendly, but I don't want to see this one go either so if there was a way to make it more of a mobile site that would be great. Other places I've found use slack and that feels quite similar to forums. For example I'm in the Storm of Spoilers slack where there are multiple threads about various topics where all the users can discuss together. I also find it hard for myself to keep up with that though so I guess it's just difficult since everyone is older now and it's hard to balance life and work with coming onto a forum for hours every night like in the good old days.
JuliaHeartfeels
post Mar 12 2021, 4:31 PM
Post #11

Earth Girl

Group: New Members

Forums can still be fun to use that's my opinion, i know everyone doesn't feel that way.
Zhanneel
post Feb 1 2022, 4:45 PM
Post #12

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

It's true, it's because of smartphones that forums have more or less died. If there was a way to make this forum mobile-friendly, I would definitely do it. But as far as I've been told, the only way to do that is to erase all the history and I don't think we want to do that. I will always miss the level of interaction you can have on a forum. Way more in-depth than other social media outlets in my opinion.

But Ranma had a great idea, and he started a Discord channel. If anyone's interested look up the Discord Topic he made. See below post:

https://magixclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12352

If anyone knows any old members or new members who would be interested in joining, send them the link and invite them!

Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 27th March 2024 - 4:57 AM