> Songs That Just Make You Want to Stab Something, fun tiemz
Rating 5 V
P-girl
post Dec 12 2010, 4:06 PM
Post #81

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Honor Members

Sorry, sorry....

But I feel like rap is getting the whipping dog of the internet, something it doesn't deserve. (Like those '93% of the people have switched over to rap, if you're one of the 7% who still have taste in music, copy this' messages. Geez, guys. A bit much, don't you think?)
Go to the top of the page
ellieluvsdolphin...
post Dec 12 2010, 5:39 PM
Post #82

Pixie

Group: Members

QUOTE (P-girl @ Dec 12 2010, 10:06 AM) *
Sorry, sorry....

But I feel like rap is getting the whipping dog of the internet, something it doesn't deserve. (Like those '93% of the people have switched over to rap, if you're one of the 7% who still have taste in music, copy this' messages. Geez, guys. A bit much, don't you think?)

While I'm not too big on rap, I do think that's a bit too much. Not just because of the bashing of the genre, but also b/c of the "taste in music" part. There is NO SUCH THING as good or bad taste in music. Everyone is entitled to a opinion. You can talk about how much you hate a song, but when someone brings 'taste' into the argument, it's just STUPID. (unless of course you're just saying something like 'well everyone has a different taste in music', without being rude about it.) No offense to anyone who's ever used musical taste in an argument or something, but it just rubs me the wrong way.
P-girl
post Dec 13 2010, 1:49 PM
Post #83

Cosmix Fairy

Thanks. I don't mind complaining about Rap and (most of) it's general problems. However, it's kind of 'In' to moan about, and it's getting a bad rep. (Heh, Pun.)

But then again, I grew up with Dutch rap, which I think is, if you excuse my bias, much MUCH better then most countries' rap. But then again, rapping is about venting about problems, and I can relate more to Dutch problems.
ellieluvsdolphin...
post Dec 14 2010, 4:00 AM
Post #84

Pixie

QUOTE (P-girl @ Dec 13 2010, 07:49 AM) *
Thanks. I don't mind complaining about Rap and (most of) it's general problems. However, it's kind of 'In' to moan about, and it's getting a bad rep. (Heh, Pun.)

But then again, I grew up with Dutch rap, which I think is, if you excuse my bias, much MUCH better then most countries' rap. But then again, rapping is about venting about problems, and I can relate more to Dutch problems.

It's basically "in" to moan about anything popular. Even with other stuff, like movies, books, etc.. if it's popular, there's an army of people out there who think they're so cool for hating something icon_razz.gif lol it's kinda funny actually...

Now if you've given it a chance and you honestly don't like it, then by all means dislike it, but please don't be one of those people who hates anything and everything without doing the research first icon_sad.gif
Even if I don't expect much good out of something, I check it out first. I don't like most of Katy Perry's songs, but I listened to her entire album before I came to that conclusion. I didn't just hate her because she was on the radio.
(that's not directed to you or anyone else here by the way, I just worded it like that because it makes more sense)
Oh but what good does it do to rant about something where it's not directed to someone.. I should probably post that somewhere I know it goes on (like neopets for example), but I'm sure I'd get flamed for that... and called a sheep...

This post has been edited by ellieluvsdolphins: Dec 14 2010, 4:04 AM
Boo
post Dec 20 2010, 12:24 AM
Post #85

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Former Staff

I agree that it is not right to complain about something (ie., a music genre) unless you have heard/researched it extensively (I myself wouldn't have said anything about rap had I not been exposed to it frequently), but, at the same time, there are exceptions (ie., some things that can jump out as problematic right from the start without thorough listening of the genre).

For example, it is very clear that the degradation of women and excessive cursing are two common themes in most popular rap songs (at least in the U.S.), and that simple fact deems it worthy of at least some criticism. It doesn't mean that the criticism was made to be "in" or what have you, but because, quite frankly, some songs within the genre simply deserve a critical eye. For example, I posted what I did because of my discontent with the degradation and the way some people passively accept these said songs (at least, where I live) simply because they are "popular." They do not take the time to dissect the lyrics and realize how so very cruel some of them are. As the thread's title suggests, such songs make me angry, and so, I posted that they did so. I would post examples, but am not going to for the sake of avoiding explicit content. They're not hard to find - any number of them can be found on top 10 lists anywhere.

I'm not saying this is true everywhere, of course, and also not saying that the whole genre deserves criticism - I'm also not saying that only the rap genre produces such songs (as it can be found in nearly every genre, from rock to pop - it just seems, with popular songs, it is frequently blatant within the rap genre nowadays, at least here in the U.S.). For example, I know that in my favorite genre, alternative rock, there are plenty of songs that have cruel and degrading lyrics - and I am discontent with them, too.

Meh. :/

--------------------
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door, that we do not see the one which has opened for us. -Helen Keller
P-girl
post Dec 22 2010, 8:21 AM
Post #86

Cosmix Fairy

I'm sorry. I never meant to make you feel uncomfortable or 'Wrong' (Wrong in an opinion? Stupid.) I just get really defensive about my own preferences sometimes.
Boo
post Dec 23 2010, 4:09 PM
Post #87

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Former Staff

Oh, it's quite alright. icon_wink.gif Don't feel bad about it. In fact, I'm precisely the same way (which probably has been made quite clear.)

--------------------
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door, that we do not see the one which has opened for us. -Helen Keller
Abdu 6b
post Jun 10 2011, 10:18 PM
Post #88

Tynix Fairy

I'm not sure if i am on topic or not but Friday by Rebecca Black really makes me angry, not because I think it' a bad song, but because at my school every Friday, someone has to bring up Rebecca Black.

A genre hated here in Hamilton is Country, which is my favourite genre. I love listening to Taylor Swift, Rascal Flatts and The Band Perry etc. but everyone keeps bothering me about it and everyone is always like "Eww, I hate country"

--------------------
Thank you Shaylo for the awesome signature.

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 8:49 PM