Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Some PC help, Wouldn't you know it? - Boo needs help with Windows XP
Boo
post Jan 20 2010, 3:05 AM
Post #1

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Former Staff

Alright, I'm just going to make a note of this before I describe my dilemma (which probably requires a simple fix that most people know.)
I'm currently a Mac user (and always will be) and have been using Apple computers since I was 3 (I would post a picture as proof, but have decided against it.) tongue.gif So just keep in mind that all of this PC stuff is, well, new(er) to me. I use Windows XP at school and at work, so it's not all fresh and unknown to me, but I still am in that "slowly and reluctantly getting used to it" stage.

Anyway, I recently (as in, last year) bought a cheap laptop that runs Windows XP (mind you, an extremely slow and temperamental laptop. It hates me. Keep this in mind when replying with some assistance as well. icon_mrgreen.gif) My problem is, when I leave the computer idle for three minutes, my screensaver starts to run. Yes, normal. But after a longer period of idleness, when the screensaver has all but faded into a blank, black screen, and when I attempt to wake my computer from this sleeping phase, a screen comes up that claims that the computer has been locked and I need to log in.

Two questions about that: can I disable that somehow? I really get tired of unlocking it (call me lazy, but I'd just like to tap the space bar and go directly back to what I was previously doing.)
That, and I have forgotten my password (dun dun dun.) Which means, instead of the normal unlocking process, I just totally shut down the computer and restart (there's got to be a smarter way to go about this). Is there any way to retrieve a, erm, forgotten password?

Any help at all would be so very greatly appreciated! I use the computer when I'm at work, and, as you may imagine, when you're in the middle of the design process of a project and you're forced to shut down your computer, it really ruins your day. Thanks in advance!

--------------------
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door, that we do not see the one which has opened for us. -Helen Keller
Go to the top of the page

Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 27th May 2024 - 12:39 AM