Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Another hairy issue: Afrogate
SpiderBraids
post Mar 27 2015, 3:54 PM
Post #1

Bloomix Fairy

Group: Members

A couple weeks ago, some blogger posted about racism in Winx. I'll refer you to Una di Noi for the details, but in short, that blogger thought the Miss Magix ep from S1 (from over a decade ago, mind) was being racist by having a minor dark-skinned character call her afro a disaster icon_surprised.gif (An afro that is implied to be the result of the Trix I might add... considering the blog in question is about black natural hair, does anyone see the irony in this? icon_confused.gif)

Having been a fan since the first season, I will note that the overtones of that scene haven't gone unnoticed before. When I first wrote about 4K's changes back in '06, one fan thought the 4K change for this scene (her voice has gone squeaky instead) to be better because "her hair is awesome" (actual words) and the voice was funnier. The fan later expanded on that comment by saying it was insulting to people with afros, and could also be considered racist icon_surprised.gif

Me, I never saw any intent of racial overtones in the scene; I just took it at its intended face value: the Trix screwing with her hair right before the pageant. That said, I can understand 4K doing what they did here, not wanting to offend certain viewers...

Nevertheless, I agree with the fans: Winx is not racist; if anything, they're good with promoting equality among races, and that should be praised icon_smile.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 7:37 AM