Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> So it turns out there's this show called Angel's Friends, It's from Italy and it took a page from the Winx character designs
MorriganAensland
post May 2 2010, 5:48 AM
Post #1

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Members

So I was reading the "Follow the Leader" page on TV Tropes and it mentioned the show. Now, it turns out this Angel's Friend story originally was a comic book with a bit more gradeschooler-look to the characters, as presented by Exhibit A, seen here. However last year in October, the series (which had then been running for about two years) got a TV deal and, well... see for yourself.

Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Macromedia's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Macromedia's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

Now I am not exactly a fan of the Winx Club (inb4 "why are you here then?") and even though I don't like the character designs for it and think that you could snap Bloom's body at the waist if you put your them and index fingers on opposite sides of her body and squeeze, that's really not the point. Winx has a design that's fairly unique and I can spot it right away. This other series's comic had a different style and that's fine too because people shouldn't go into doing character design and try to do something new and amazing when there's no reason not to, unless you're trying to be stylish and cool etc. etc.

I think the thing that bugs me with this is just the idea of trying to ride on one show's popularity when as far as I can tell from this horribly translated page about it on the Italian wikipedia site, they were fairly different stories. Okay, there are some noticeable similarities (like apparently a school and all) but again, from what I've read it at least was something different, most notably the ages of the characters and the exact relationship between two relatively similar magical groups. I almost feel like this is like dumbing down a series and trying to make a few more dollars by riding off of the success of another show rather than setting it up as its own show with own unique merits.

Granted, I'm not against shifting character designs, far from it. Osamu Tezuka's art style was cartoony and reminiscent of the works of Walt Disney, which sometimes clashed with the serious nature of his stories, and when Naomi Urosawa did a remake of the World's Greatest Robot arc in Astro Boy, turning it into Pluto, I freaking loved it. Sure, characters looked different but that was okay. I didn't mind when Urosawa turned Astro from this to this, because the spirit of the character stayed the same and besides, Urosawa would probably be disgracing Tezuka's memory if he tried to emulate Tezuka's style when his own is perfectly solid. Same applies to Saint Seiya's original author, Masami Kurumada, and Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas's author, Shiori Teshirogi. The character designs for Phoenix Ikki from the original series and his 18ths century equivalent, Bennu Kagaho do have some differences, with Shiori's style being much more flowery and shoujo-esque.

I guess the point I'm really trying to make is that art shifts shouldn't be done just for the sake of winning over fans from another fandom. And maybe I'm wrong about Angel's Friends; perhaps they were on a deadline and the only guy they could get was the guy who did the designs for Winx. But I don't feel that's the case.

This post has been edited by MorriganAensland: May 2 2010, 5:49 AM

--------------------

Hey, look! My sig's back!
Go to the top of the page

Posts in this topic
- MorriganAensland   So it turns out there's this show called Angel's Friends   May 2 2010, 5:48 AM
- - Jahnavi   Yeah, in some of the wider shots, I definitely see...   May 2 2010, 8:15 AM
- - P-girl   Funny enough, the comic page artwork has a LOT in ...   May 2 2010, 9:11 AM
- - DeadInside   Don't know man, Character design is B... I me...   May 2 2010, 9:17 AM
- - MorriganAensland   Hey, that's okay. I'm not really saying i...   May 2 2010, 1:36 PM
- - P-girl   With you on that. Granted, it worked with Transfor...   May 2 2010, 1:40 PM
- - wkw427   Wow, really? Reminds me of when we were going hay...   May 3 2010, 12:17 AM
- - MorriganAensland   I remember that. It was weird. Anyways, I looked...   May 3 2010, 1:30 AM
- - aqua_pearl   I see what you mean by the style change...   May 8 2010, 7:16 PM
- - wkw427   Cartoon looks like witch Comic looks like winx fa...   May 8 2010, 9:33 PM
- - P-girl   Strange, for me it's the other way around. I m...   May 8 2010, 9:37 PM
- - DeadInside   Ok, now i see what you were talking about.... Thi...   May 9 2010, 10:37 AM
- - P-girl   Well, while I don't support this. Why squander...   May 9 2010, 10:39 AM
- - RenaEnchantix   "Angel's Friends" is getting a lot o...   Jul 24 2010, 9:23 PM
- - MorriganAensland   Well, in Winx's defense (OH GOD I'M DEFEND...   Jul 24 2010, 10:18 PM
- - RenaEnchantix   I do agree with a lot of what you said. they didn...   Jul 25 2010, 12:01 AM
- - MorriganAensland   Alright, I was with you for the first paragraph bu...   Jul 25 2010, 1:05 AM
- - RenaEnchantix   Alright, so maybe Sailor Moon isn't the most o...   Jul 25 2010, 2:16 AM
- - MorriganAensland   Sailor Moon definitely was influential, yes. And ...   Jul 25 2010, 2:40 AM
- - RenaEnchantix   Winx definitely could have done worse, i have to a...   Jul 25 2010, 2:44 AM
- - mightymarty2   I don't think you can compare which is best un...   Jul 25 2010, 7:08 AM
- - Kendall112   I just bought the Vol.1 DVD of this show   Mar 5 2011, 2:02 AM
- - alicia_musa   i cant understand it :/   Sep 8 2011, 1:53 AM

Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 24th May 2024 - 11:05 AM