Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Travel, part of AO's Multiverse
Asher Omega
post May 16 2008, 7:29 AM
Post #1

Butterflix Fairy

Group: Members

I've decided to post a sample of writing, since its not finished I'd rate it as PG (movie rating system). its one of my early starts. and I am terribly sorry that the story cuts off abruptly, I got writer's block as to where to take the story after that. and it would be considered a wall of text.

Travel

Everyday we see things that we're accustomed to, people, streets, ideas, and ourselves. No one really takes a step away from it all to see new things, giving the excuses, its too expensive, maybe later, or I've already done that. Some people find that this steady life style very comforting. Let’s take a venture away from all that to a place where our common everyday things are uncommon or even rare, sometimes even illegal.

Serenias Ventros was never liked by her neighbors, not even by some of her relatives. She half expected her brothers and sisters to turn her in sooner or later. Her views, ideals, her very sense of self were almost illegal in the government's eye. So as soon as she turned of age, she took a course that would allow the government to turn a blind eye to her, and allow her to leave her life behind. She took a job as an explorer. This would allow her to act normal while the government would keep its distance from her. Her family would no longer be able to coerce her to follow the doctrines and moral rules set by their religion. The only downside to this was being stuck with all the other religious nuts that thought of coercing the places they were going to explore. But his kind far outweighed the fanatics in the exploration business. it took an open mind and an interesting mind set to explore new places. The fanatics would try to convert people, but most of the time they'd come back shocked and scarred, others come back full of triumph. but most return and hand in a notice of retirement.

her first assignment was strange because she was practically forced to get a level 2 security pass for this. Most explorers never got past a level 6. Her first assignment got a clearance for something most templar officials would kill for. So she took as a sign that this was going to kill her or severely scar her forever. Serenias was waiting outside the door of the Explorer's Association Cabinet representative. "Come in Ms. Serenias Ventros? I believe we will have the meeting soon. But first I'd like to get to know you." she knew immediately what the cabinet rep. was talking about. There were three types of explorers, the religious fanatics, which any and all were equally accepted, the Male explorers, which unlike her had different opinions from that of the government. The last one were the true aberrancies. She fell into this last category. 'Getting to know her better' only meant two things to this last group, how can we disqualify them, or what we can do to persuay them to do this so the others don't have to. But for her, this also had a third meaning, one she really wish isn't what the representative is thinking. as she entered, she found the room rather coldly lit by the neotroic lights. "Take a seat at that end if you please." the Rep was pointing at a chair opposite of his. This gave Serenias a small comfort. as she sat down, the rep. pulled out a small folder. "Well Ms. Serenias, it has come to my attention that your first job was one that the government and a few scientific communities would rather have a much more "able" explorer handle, but I felt that it should be given to you. Do you want to know why?" She didn't have the slightest clue. "Because Ms. Serenias, it is my firm belief that this assignment is not for anyone that the government should push, but rather for the small and meek." *oh no, not another sermon* Serenias thought. "I'm sick and tired of sending out the evangelists on exploration missions that return them broken and battered in more ways than one, and even the most senior of explorers I offered turn down this assignment." *wait, did he just say evangelists?* Serenias was starting to feel as if the cabinet rep. was an explorer himself. "Now Ms. Serenias, can ask why you took a job as an explorer?" the rep was waiting for her response. "Well, I thought it might allow me some freedom." the rep shook his head at this. "Well Ms. Serenias, if you wanted freedom, you should have chosen something along the lines of factory worker, but instead you chose a job that literally separates you from the rest of society, and given your current standing with us, including our own society has labeled you an out cast." *”our own society”? This is getting stranger by the minute* "Ms. Serenias, it looks like you have a question." "Yes Mr... Uh Mr..." "Oh dearly sorry, Gercent Durumas, call me Mr Durumas." "Well Mr. Durumas, the way you talk and act, it seems as though you aren't a politician at all. it seems like you're an explorer. Ooops, so sorry, I'm dearly sorry for that statement." "It's alright, and I can fully sympathize with you. Yes I consider myself an explorer; in all actuality I was one before the government offered me this desk job. Now, what’s the real reason for becoming an explorer?" "Well I felt that everyone around me was going to turn me into the government sooner or later, even my parents were starting to get worried. And if I did avoid the government the templars would start hounding everyone around me until I would be turned into the government." Serenias suddenly felt scared, she just told a government official that she had either done something illegal or is still doing something illegal. "No worries, lass, I'm different than most people. What ever you did is now gone." and with that last sentence he took the folder pulled out several sheets of paper and ripped those in two. "Now the only thing left here is a folder containing your basic background, your medical history, and some minor and a few major achievements." she sat there looking at this G man giving her a hand up. Her history all of it was now rent in twain.

Serenias sat there dumbstruck. One government official just made every note of her existence with the exception of a few achievements and medical history void. “Uh, Mr. Durumas is that standard procedure?” his only response was a curt nod. “Now Ms. Ventros, you’ve probably heard several stories of what happens to explorers. About half of them are bunk. Most made up to scare people away from joining. Others are completely true. Have you heard the one story about an explorer coming back twenty years older from when he left?” “Yes, but that shouldn’t be possible.” “Well I hate to break it to you, but that story is completely true. Time dilation is a problem that we’ve encountered but thankfully we found out what causes it. So we now have a system set up where you call in to be brought back.” “Mr. Durumas, is the story about a man coming back saying he came back without his soul true?” “That one is complete and utter BS. Souls as the Templars explain can’t be examined, quantified, or observed. That story is actually a twisted one of an actual account of one explorer returning and there wasn’t anything left of him mentally. So one of the unwritten rules about explorers is keep your head cool and calculating at all times. But that was a sad day when that explorer came back.” “if you don’t mind me asking, who was it?”

Mr. Durumas’ eyes clouded over, like remembering a very fond memory. “He was one of the early Explorers. He was the poster child for this branch of the government. Young, dashing, pretty and with a damn good head on his shoulders. His name was Janus Arkseus. It was a dark day when he returned.” The stillness of the air kept both Serenias and Mr. Durumas silent for a long time. “Ahem. Anyway that’s all classified from public knowledge now” “Wait a minute! If that was classified then why tell me?” “Actually I only told you what I tell all the new recruits. The rest of the story is still classified until you get your Level 2 Clearance. Most successful recruits only get to be Level 7 at most. Now first things first, what do you know about Explorers Ms. Serenias?” “They travel to places that can’t be found on any map, are practically branded traitors by normal society, half of the new people drop out on their first mission, and uh…” “That should be enough. Well you know all the basic stuff. Now let me tell you the stuff that isn’t common knowledge and isn’t printed on the government pamphlets. The recruits that drop out are the evangelists. They can’t handle the fact that the places they travel to have radical and sometimes dangerous ideals that in our society they’d be tried for state crimes. Now, the places you’ll be traveling will be on a map, just not a normal one. You’re going to be going to places we’ve termed ‘Alternates’. And the branded by traitors part sounds much like a personal opinion, Ms. Serenias.” “Sorry but everyone that came from where I lived considered anyone who didn’t pay respects to God and the Templars was practically a traitor. They consider anyone who tried becoming an Explorer up for disownment. And the way I lived I was just about to be turned over to the Rehab center at the Local Templar office.”

After a few more questions by Mr. Durumas, Serenias was let to finish unpacking at her new house. “Oh and one more thing Ms. Serenias, once you’re all settled in give my office a call. If I’m in, I’ll tell you when you can pick up your Level 2 clearance, if I’m not, leave a message. And I’ll be in charge of all your missions due to your clearance. It’ll be a pleasure working with someone who actual thinks for a change.” “Wait a minute; I thought you were just a representative?” “That Ms. Serenias will be come clear as to why I’m your boss. But first you’ve got to finish moving. Believe me.” He shooed her out the door and quietly closed it behind her. She quietly left to her new assigned home, near the facility that would now be her work place. She felt like she could finally get do stuff that would allow her to express her freedom. But first she had to unpack.

Serenias arrived to her new home. She stood at the front door, surprised at the size at the size of the house. It was a two story home. She didn’t even have enough to fill a small studio apartment. She looked at the key. It was the right house. She unlocked the front door and stepped inside. All of her stuff, 7 boxes, three suit cases, double bed, 14” tv, and dresser were in the entry way. A single person was sitting on the dresser reading a small booklet. “Hello Miss, since you weren’t here the rest of the guys left me to help you move your stuff to where you want it.” “And you are?” “Oh I’m sorry Miss; I’m Kenjins, one of the movers.” “Oh, well give me a moment to figure out which room is the master bed room.” “Up the stairs, Strait across, double door way, Can’t miss it.” “Uh if you knew where it was, why wait till I got here to move it?” “Simple ma’am, you might find that your house is a little daunting. So you might have wanted one of the smaller rooms.” “Well I might collect stuff and it sensible to put my bed in the master bedroom so.” “Say no more miss. Interesting read here. And call me Jin. Full name is rather hard to say.” He held up the red book. Rules and Regulations of the Explorer’s Association. “But we need to get stuff set up for a new Explorer. Her home.” And with that Serenias and Jin got to work of moving stuff to where she wanted. The house was partly furnished. But it was still mostly white walls and empty space when they got finished.
Serenias looked around at her new abode with satisfaction. “Well ma’am, need me for anything else?” “Nah, thanks for the help Jin. I do have a question, I thought the Explorers didn’t use outside companies for anything?” “They don’t. I’m part of the Explorer’s Association like you, just a different branch of it. Good Luck out there. We might see each other at the facility.” Jin left with out notice but he did leave the red book behind.

--------------------

OMG I's got a color AVY, first one I ever had on this Forum! And now a new sig! blargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblarg
blargblargblargblarg.
Go to the top of the page

Posts in this topic
- Asher Omega   Travel   May 16 2008, 7:29 AM
- - Jahnavi   I liked it, but it is kind of abrupt, both at the ...   May 16 2008, 7:53 AM
- - Asher Omega   as of yet, I have no clue as to where I want to go...   May 16 2008, 8:03 AM
- - Jahnavi   Okay, I hope to read more soon! And if you...   May 16 2008, 8:13 AM
- - Asher Omega   Okay, I got some inspiration, sadly I haven't ...   May 25 2008, 9:35 PM
- - MorriganAensland   Well... first off this is very unusual, although t...   May 26 2008, 1:13 PM
- - Asher Omega   *picks up dusts off* okay I know I haven't upd...   Jul 22 2008, 3:03 AM
- - Asher Omega   *Wall of Text warning* Jurisdiction Pt 2 Sereni...   Aug 12 2008, 3:11 AM
- - MorriganAensland   O_O Yeah. Wall of text indeed. One I attempted ...   Aug 12 2008, 7:03 PM
- - Nightstorm   Intriguing. Though segmented in the beginning and ...   Nov 1 2008, 5:11 AM
- - Asher Omega   The Gunman Pt. 2 Serenias stood in shock of the ...   Nov 1 2008, 9:02 AM
- - Nightstorm   Hey, its only as crappy as you believe it to be. A...   Nov 1 2008, 10:10 AM
- - MorriganAensland   The telescoping arms on the robot reminded me of G...   Nov 1 2008, 4:39 PM
- - Asher Omega   Actually, Nightstorm the gateway can only be seen ...   Nov 1 2008, 8:42 PM
- - Asher Omega   WARNING WALL OF TEXT (and I do mean it this time...   Nov 24 2008, 8:14 AM
- - MorriganAensland   Nice trick with the link attached to the period. ...   Nov 24 2008, 3:31 PM
- - Asher Omega   Damn. anyways this reminded me that I snuck in som...   Nov 24 2008, 8:20 PM
- - Asher Omega   Three Days Hence It has been three days since Se...   Jan 3 2009, 11:14 PM
|- - MorriganAensland   Oh, come on. I double-post all the time in Saori....   Jan 4 2009, 2:04 AM
- - Asher Omega   Ah, don't worry about Dyu, I made him that sem...   Jan 4 2009, 3:13 AM
- - MorriganAensland   Is his last name Oak and is he trying to collect t...   Jan 4 2009, 3:17 AM
- - Asher Omega   D : Now now everyone, we can talk this... *epic j...   Jan 4 2009, 3:21 AM
- - Zhanneel   All done reading! I get a cookie for that...   Jan 29 2009, 2:46 AM
- - Asher Omega   Don't worry Zee, we'll get to see some rat...   Jan 29 2009, 2:56 AM
- - Zhanneel   I understand perfectly then .   Jan 29 2009, 3:11 AM
- - Asher Omega   Announcement! I am working on Travels, its ju...   Mar 24 2009, 12:34 AM
- - Zhanneel   Awesome Asher ^^. Will gladly read it when you...   Mar 24 2009, 2:01 AM
- - MorriganAensland   Yayz! From what you were saying about it earl...   Mar 24 2009, 2:05 AM
- - Asher Omega   And then there was Gary Serenias’ next mi...   Mar 24 2009, 8:18 AM
- - MorriganAensland   WHUMP! Finally found the time to read this. ...   Apr 10 2009, 3:31 PM
- - Asher Omega   as far as I think I may still have my fictionpress...   Apr 11 2009, 4:27 AM
- - MorriganAensland   And I've got no problem with Card-Carrying Vil...   Apr 11 2009, 4:30 AM
- - Zhanneel   I'm almost getting to this next chapter. Don...   Apr 15 2009, 4:59 PM
- - Zhanneel   I made it! Did it all in one go. *drinks somet...   Apr 21 2009, 3:12 AM
- - Asher Omega   Derrick is the cook! Rensan is the idiot that ...   Apr 21 2009, 3:54 AM
- - Zhanneel   Ack! Whoops, I shall edit it, but the damage h...   Apr 21 2009, 4:05 AM
- - Asher Omega   its okay Zee. I mean it is a wall o' text so i...   Apr 21 2009, 4:29 AM
- - Asher Omega   That which Sleeps of Self Serenias awoke to a fo...   May 23 2009, 12:38 AM
- - MorriganAensland   Whoo! Nice chapter. And yeah, D does seem to...   May 23 2009, 1:28 AM
- - Asher Omega   well the entire family thing is going to be import...   May 24 2009, 8:29 PM
- - Asher Omega   On the Fields of Fiddler’s Green Serenias...   May 31 2009, 9:13 PM
- - MorriganAensland   Yayz! We find out some more about Serenias an...   Jun 11 2009, 1:15 AM
- - Asher Omega   Well it explains the cold and calculating Instinct...   Jun 11 2009, 1:25 AM
- - Asher Omega   Stained Glass Bubble Gum Windows Serenias, after...   Jul 4 2009, 4:29 AM
- - MorriganAensland   Oh, double-posting is alright and all. And this c...   Jul 5 2009, 3:15 AM
- - Asher Omega   The Unseeing Eye Serenias awoke the next day wit...   Jul 10 2009, 10:34 PM
|- - MorriganAensland   WHUMP! Okay, I read it and I liked it. We go...   Jul 18 2009, 12:06 AM
- - Asher Omega   Glad that it came off well. I was kinda worried du...   Jul 18 2009, 2:17 AM
- - Zhanneel   Lots of...wow. I just read through four chapters o...   Jul 25 2009, 2:59 AM
- - Asher Omega   I'll be working on ideas as well as future cha...   Jul 25 2009, 4:08 AM
- - Asher Omega   I am back which means that this poor post WILL BE ...   Jul 31 2010, 4:11 AM

Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 25th May 2024 - 2:01 PM